Turkey’s military offensive: about 500 Kurdish targets attacked

Status: 11/23/2022 1:10 PM

Turkey continues to crack down on Kurdish positions in Syria and Iraq. Hundreds of targets have been attacked since Sunday. Kobane’s stronghold was also under artillery fire.

Turkey says it has launched aerial attacks on nearly 500 Kurdish targets in Iraq and Syria since Sunday. “So far, 471 targets have been hit and 254 terrorists neutralized,” Defense Minister Hulusi Akar said, according to state news agency Anadolu.

Turkey launched a military offensive against Kurdish units in northern Syria on Sunday. The airstrikes targeted bases of the outlawed Kurdish Workers’ Party (PKK) and the YPG, which Turkey views as the PKK’s Syrian offshoot. The United States, on the other hand, supports the YPG, which played a key role in pushing the Islamic State (IS) jihadist militia out of Syria.

Turkey’s offensive in Syria began days after an attack in Istanbul, which Ankara blamed on the PKK, left six dead. The banned Workers’ Party and the Syrian Kurds deny any involvement in the attack.

Activists: Five civilians killed in rocket attack

According to activists in northwestern Syria, five civilians were killed on Tuesday. According to the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights, the town of Asas, which is controlled by Syrian rebels linked to Turkey, has been hit by rockets. Five people were killed, including a child. Three other people were injured.

The northern Syrian town of Kobane, considered a stronghold of the YPG, came under continuous Turkish artillery fire last night. Turkish drones also attacked a small oil field near the border town of al-Kahtaniya, an AFP correspondent reported.

Earlier, a Turkish drone strike hit a base in northeastern Syria used by both Kurdish units and a US-led coalition, the Kurds and the observatory said. According to the SDF military alliance led by Kurdish units, two SDF fighters were killed. According to the US Army Central Command (Centcom), US soldiers were not in danger.

Rubble lies on a street in the city of Asas (Syria).

Image: AFP

Erdogan substantiates threat of ground offensive

Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has now stepped up his threat of a ground offensive against Kurdish militias in Syria, but has left the start date open. “We will continue the operation from the air and crack down on the terrorists from the land at the most convenient time for us,” Erdogan said in a speech to MPs from his AKP party. This is reported by Reuters news agency. Turkey is more determined than ever to secure its southern border with a security corridor. The territorial integrity of Syria is taken into account, as well as that of Iraq.

Russia, on the other hand, asked Turkey to refrain from a comprehensive ground offensive in Syria. “We hope that our arguments will be heard in Ankara and that other ways to solve the problem will be found,” Russian negotiator Alexander Lavrentiev said after a new round of Syrian talks with Turkish and Iranian delegations in Kazakhstan. The US had also called for restraint.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *